27 June 2008

STREETS OF SALVADOR


This is Jarret (or Jah-he-ch as they call me here)  reporting from Graça, in Salvador da Bahia Brazil. I am staying here for six weeks with a family, and before I broke myself on the Steel Horse Century I was considering buying myself a shit bike and JB welding it into a ghetto fixed, but after getting here I gotta tell you assholes how traffic works in Brazil. LA is super fucking tame compared to here.

first day i get here the taxi shows up and it costs me 87 fuckin reais to get to the hotel, and at night, red lights don~t mean shit. and thats the law. after 10pm, people blow through them like nothing. not only that but they drive fucking fast and without seat belts. during the day the streets are pretty crowded and cars dont give a fuck about people. they will not stop for you, if you are in the street and in their way, they will probably kill you. walking is basically frogger, no exageration. worst thing is when cars fly out of parking garages and don~t stop for nobody, so i bet it would be super easy to get killed by a car popping out. 

the buses are even scarier. my host father was driving over to the apartment and we had to dodge the bus that was almost on our side of the street. i couldn~t imagine being a brazilian bike crew. we~d all be fucking dead! otherwise, salvador is a really groovy city and you assholes should all come with me for carnaval because eu falo portugues and i will know the town. 

No comments: